Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Trip






We made it to Taiwan with almost no difficulty. The only scary part for me was at BWI. While checking in, we realized that HL forgot her Alien Resident card. Getting back into the US without it could be difficult. Luckily I am coming home a month and a half before she is. I can send it to her with plenty of time to spare.



The flight from BWI to Chicago was uneventful. Chicago to Tokyo Narita was 13 hours in the air, plus almost an hour on the ground in Chicago. We waited for people who were rebooking from a cancelled flight to Shanghai.



Joy behaved wonderfully. We had books and other things to keep her occupied. We walked around the plane a little bit. At one point she said she wanted to go outside. Fortunately for all of us, she did not fuss at all when I told her we could not.



Our layover in Japan was only about one hour. We were on the upper deck of the airplane. The seating was tighter than the flight from Baltimore, but there was plenty of space between the seat and the window. There was actually a ledge about 10 or 12 inches wide. Plus there were only 2 of us each in 2 three-seat rows. This flight went from Tokyo to Kaohsuing, our final destination, in about 2 hours and 45 minutes. I got to watch most of The Bourne Ultimatum. I thought we were stopping in Taipei. I’m very glad I was wrong.



We got through the thermal testing and immigration with no problems. Hui-Chen, Mei-Chen and Kuo-Yen were there to pick us up. Joy was a little bit shy at first, but that didn’t last long!

No comments: